Thursday, November 16, 2006

Gray Day...

I have lost nine friends… some to accidents, some to suicide… none from actual medical problems. And all this happened when I was 17-23 years old.

I’ve been very fortunate in these last few years, I’ve only been to one funeral since 2003 (and that was just two weeks ago – for someone who lived a long and wonderful life).

But for a while, I was pretty messed up about it.

For so many years (late teens, early twenties) I was lost. The friends I made were wonderful… there’s not much I would change… I just wish I had the insight I have now (I know, who doesn’t?) and knew who I was a little better.

Losing friends is hard… especially when you feel like they are dropping like flies.

My most recent friend to pass died in a car accident while leaving the graduation ceremonies of friends at Northwest Missouri State. He fell asleep at the wheel and was hit by a semi traveling in the other lanes. I’ll never forget Donnie. We were close. He went on a family ski trip with me during my Freshman year of high school. We became friends in seventh grade (as all the grad schools combine for junior high) and were remained close through our Sophomore year (then I started working and ended up graduating a year early). We were always ‘just friends’ which I think is why we were able to stay close during those crazy teen years.

I think it’s the cold gray day that’s making me sentimental. It’s these days that I’d give anything for a hot cup of tea, a warm blanket, and my boyfriend to snuggle with.

No comments: