Tuesday, December 12, 2006

I’m torn…

I’m happy… but torn.

First, the happy part.

I’ve got an interview!!! Not just an interview at any old place… and interview where Toast works!!!

List of Pros:
The pay would be more than I’m making now… although not as much as I’d like to make.
My commute would be shorter and I’d be working South of home and wouldn’t have to drive Downtown everyday.
I might be salary instead of hourly.
Toast says the benefits are great and I’d love all the foofy things they do to celebrate different holidays and employee appreciation things (since we’re a not-for-profit hospital there’s not much splurging on fun and entertainment here).
I’d have normal PTO and won’t have to work holidays (even the ones like Martin Luther King, Jr. Day).
I’d work with Toast!

I’d work closer to our group of friends and might be able to go out to lunch on occasion.
I’d get to go out to lunch on occasion… period.
I’d park close to the building I work in and wouldn’t have to ride the “insta-car sickness” shuttle twice a day.

List of Cons:
I really, really like my Boss here. We’ve become good work friends.
I work for a truly great organization… my job may not be the best, but they do really great things here and I’m proud to say that I work here.
Again, I really, really like my Boss and would really hate to leave her.

This is the dilemma I always face when looking for a new job. I don’t like the “leaving” part. It’s not that I feel like I’m quitting… and it’s not that I don’t understand that in order to move forward you have to leave some things behind… it’s also not that I think they won’t get by and find someone just as good as me to replace me (but seriously, is there anyone as good as me?)… I just get anxious and nervous with a huge pit in my stomach at the thought of putting in my notice.

Replacing employees is hard and I feel guilty when I know that my Boss, who’s so busy already, will have to scramble to find someone else to do the (limited) amount of work I do now. Plus, since we’ve become friends, we talk about personal stuff. She confides in me and if I’m gone… who will she confide in? I keep her sane. I guess I’d feel like I was abandoning her.

Wow… think I wear my heart on my sleeve?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lunch with the Scraps! Hells yes.
My fingers are crossed.