Thursday, July 20, 2006

On the other side?

I just had an interesting thing happen…

I saw two ladies struggling with a door as they were carrying a bunch of linen and supplies, so I held the door open for them both. They were joined by a man and the three of them started a conversation in Spanish.

I took four years of Spanish in high school and junior college… I won’t say that I remember a lot, but I do catch phrases and words in conversations.

They were making fun of someone… for not being able to speak Spanish.

Yes, people who don’t speak Spanish usually know what “no habla Espanol” means. Some people also know what “como se dice” means as well. They were making fun of someone who was asking them how to say different words in Spanish.

I judge and make fun of others on a daily basis. I make fun of people for various reasons: bad hair days, poor wardrobe choices, camel toes… I could go on and on.

I will say however, I have never, NEVER had a lively conversation with friends making fun of people for not speaking my language in front of someone who doesn’t speak that language. And, they did this just after I was polite and courteous to them.

I just think it was rude.

To leave things on a positive note (because that’s the direction I’m trying to go now…)…

The artwork for my new tattoo has begun. I expect to see something in the first week or so of August. My appointment is Aug. 23rd at 11am. This will be my first substantial tattoo… I’m super excited!

No comments: