Wednesday, August 16, 2006

I'll Call Her Eleanor... Ellie for Short

I'm car shopping... kinda freaked out by the whole ordeal... kinda invigorated that I'm doing something pretty big, by myself, for the first time.

I found a 2003 Honda Element, black with tinted windows, CD/MP3, keyless entry, 28k miles, lots of fixin's... all for only $13,998. I thought I had found the perfect vehicle.

The catch you ask?

Besides being located in Chicago (they's ship it here formereear $150), there's no factory installed air conditioner. WTF? Who makes a car that doesn't come with air conditioning? I'm only getting a new car because my car's air went out and then started going to shit, so no air is definitely a stopping point... Next Please!

BUT... the good thing this car gave me... it gave me a bargaining tool. Online there is a car with low mileage, 'cool' features (pun intended) and pretty low cost. So I've been calling the few car dealers here in town asking if they can beat this deal I have set up in Chicago.

Two of the three I've called have told me they will beat my deal. YESSS! One point for me. I'm a negotiating fool!

Now, the hard part will be - knowing when to walk away. I know that I don't have to buy these cars. If they don't give me the deal they have worked out over the phone... I'm going to the next dealership.

I'm going to have a late evening tonight.

If I bring an Element home soon... I think I'll call her Eleanor... Ellie for short.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

m.toast said...

Wow. You're going to have a 2-Element home. Thank gawd the things don't come in chocolate (sometimes known as shit) brown...

NutScraps said...

We aren't the only ones... SHD saw 2 in a driveway a few days ago... I think it was an omen.

I'll have to come by and take you for a spin!